This time, we went to a place called The Tower of London. Daddy has been wanting to go there for a while, and since the weather was perfect for being outside yesterday, Mummy decided it was time she and I took him to see the Tower!
The Tower of London is actually a whole bunch of towers, 21 actually. The oldest tower, the White Tower, was built in 1078 by William the Conqueror. At first, it was actually a castle, where William lived. Then it became a prison. The English held prisoners there until 1952--not that long ago!
A man called a "Beefeater" gave us a tour. Beefeaters used to be the body guards of the kings and queens. Now, they guard the Tower and tell everybody that comes to see it all different funny stories. Our Beefeater, Dickey, told us about people who had their heads cut off just outside the tower, and then a couple Queens who were killed inside! It sounded pretty gross to me.
Mummy and Daddy told me about the Ravens that live in the Tower. They are really big black birds that make kind of a croaky squawk. Mummy said that there are always six ravens at the Tower. British people are really superstitious (Daddy says that means they believe in things that might not be logical, but are important to them. Huh.), and that they believe if there aren't six ravens at the Tower at all times, then the Crown will fall!! I'm not sure if he meant the Crown with the big diamonds we saw or what, but it sounds pretty scary.
Mummy carried me in the tummy pack for most of the time we were in the Tower. There are lots of stairs, and I was pretty tired. Plus, I'm just a lot happier when I can be up high to see things. I did get really tired after our Beefeater tour though, and so I got a bottle and took a nap while Mummy carried me. Ah! That's the life!!
In one of the towers we went in, we read about a few prisoners that were kept there. Usually, prisoners that were kept in the Tower were really important people. Mummy said they must have been really important because they were still allowed to get Amazon deliveries (oh Mum...).
When we go out and see new things, I always want to touch whatever I can. The Tower had lots of really cool brick walls, railings on the twisty staircases, and funny iron soldiers. Mummy and Daddy let me touch as much as I could reach! I almost got to touch some of the graffiti prisoners made in the walls. They must have been really bored, because some of the things carved into the walls were amazing!
The soldiers that protected the Tower a long time ago were pretty amazing. But, we did read about one time when the poor people got really mad at the King, and actually invaded the Tower! If Daddy had been a soldier back then, I bet they wouldn't have gotten in. He's way too tough.
Just outside the Tower is the Tower Bridge, one of the most recognizable bridges in the world! Lots of people call it the London Bridge, but Mummy said THEY ARE WRONG!
We had a really fun day at the Tower of London. There were lots of things to see, lots of things to learn about, and we even got to see the crown jewels (lots of sparkly things that I think Mummy would like to wear). When we left the Tower at 4:30, it was already starting to get dark. But, we did get to see the sunset over the Thames and look at some of the really cool buildings in London.
| This is the Tower of London |
Just outside the Tower, is a statue of the Roman Emperor Trajan. He built a huge wall around the city of Londinium when he was Emperor (well, he made other people build it). Mummy said lots of people get confused and think it's Hadrian's Wall, but Emperor Hadrian built his wall on the border between Scotland and England. I can see how that would be confusing, but you just need to have a really smart Mummy with you to tell you those kind of things when you're traveling.
After we grabbed some dinner at Subway, we went shopping on Oxford Street. They have all their Christmas Lights up--it was beautiful.
On the way home, Mummy let me have a piece of a Ben's Cookie on the Train. WOW--those are delicious! Mummy told Daddy we can't go in to London without having Ben's Cookies--good thing there's one near Oxford Street!



No comments:
Post a Comment